Saturday, April 22, 2006

New Tory

I joined the conservative party last night. I find that as I become more affluent my views move more towards the right of centre in political terms. I'd been thinking about it for a while, and the trigger was the Labour party stooping to the levels of portraying David Cameron as a Chameleon. This smacks of desperation as much as anything, and to be honest that is a big turn off in a political party.

I've never been a big fan of Tony Blair, particularly for his seemingly unquestioning alliance with George W Bush at a time when the majority of his people and much of his party felt the direction was wrong. I'm speaking of course about the Iraq invasion, a subject which has been done to death and which I'm not going to go into, except to say that I've not trusted him since then, if before.

Why the tories though? I've always been a Liberal, initially as that was the party of my parents, but increasingly that feels like a wasted vote. I hold the view that for any one party to be in power too long is a bad thing, regardless of their policies. You need a bit of bith in the long run to stay on the straight and narrow as it were. Labour hae had a decent crack at it, and appear to be running out of ideas, the Chameleon ad being the best they could come up with for a party political broadcast.

David Cameron seems to have some genuine enthusiam for bringing more humanity to the Conservative Party, something which I have always felt they lacked. A friend of mine likes to say his own political views are "Socially Liberal & economically conservative". He's talking crap mostly as he is more right wing than he likes to admit, but I like the concept. With David Cameron in charge, the Tories might well be moving in that direction, and I for one am willing to support him in that.

2 Comments:

Blogger sagenz said...

noone is interested in your views, you are an ignorant twat :)

11:03 AM, April 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Conservative b***d ! ;-)

3:12 PM, May 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home